WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
There are several ways that a person wanting to impact the life of a child in foster care can get involved.
1. Become a Foster Parent. Foster parents care for children in foster care full time. They receive a small monthly stipend for their services. Contact Missouri Alliance for Children and Families for more information at 888-974-7035.
2. Become a Respite Provider: From time-to-time, foster or adoptive families need someone to temporarily care for their children. Respite care providers may care for children in their home or in the foster or adoptive home of the child. Respite is provided on a 12-24 hour basis. Providers receive a small stipend for their services. Contact your local Children’s Division office for more information. In St. Louis County call 314-426-8401 and in St. Louis City call 314-340-7536.
3. Become a CASA Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate volunteers work with Juvenile Court staff to ensure that appropriate plans are being made for children. In St. Louis City, contact Voices for Children at 314-552-2120 or St. Louis County CASA at 314-615-4508.
4. Become a Visiting Resource: Visiting resources spend quality time with children who are placed in residential facilities. Visiting resources provide children an opportunity for family interactions (going to the zoo, spending holidays together, etc.). Contact local residential facilities (Missouri Baptist Children’s Home, Evangelical Children’s Home, Edgewood, Boys and Girls Town of Missouri, Presbyterian Children’s Home, etc.) for details about specific programs.
5. Contact the Foster Adoptive Care Coalition at 314-367-8373 or www.foster-adopt.org to get involved in their Little Wishes program. You can make “wishes” for children in foster care come true.
6. Donate gently used luggage to children for when they need to move. Contact Missouri Alliance for Children and Families for more information at 888-974-7035.